Video ID: 241002
How to Change the Cord Lock and Idlers on a Woven Wood Shade
These instructions show you how to change the cord lock and idlers on a woven wood shade. You may need to change these parts if your locks and idlers have become damaged.
A Note on Safety
Kids can strangle in blind cords. To make your blinds safer for kids, keep cords out of reach and secure cord and bead chain loops. To learn more, please visit our child safety guide.
Step 1 – Remove your shade from the window, and lay it on a flat surface.
- Remove the tassels by untying or cutting the knot in your cord.
- Pull the cord out from the cord lock and idlers.
Step 2 – Remove screws from your idlers, and set the screws aside.
- Remove the screws from your cord lock and set the screws aside.
Step 3 – Replace old idlers and cord locks with new parts.
- Screw in new idlers and cord locks and verify they are in the same orientation as before.
Step 4 – Rethread the string through the idlers.
- Insert the wire tool through the front of the cord lock and between the rollers.
Step 5 – Thread the cord through the eye of the wire tool and pull it through the lock.
- Verify the cords are not tangled.
Step 6 – Trim the strings to the desired length.
- Feed the cord through tassels and tie a knot.
- Test the repair by raising and lowering your shade.