Video ID: 101001
How to Change the String in a Cord Tilt Mechanism on a Hunter Douglas 2″ Blind
Cord tilt mechanisms operate using strings that tilt the blinds slats opened and closed. Sometimes this string can break, and instead of purchasing a new tilt mechanism, you can change the string in the tilt mechanism. This video will illustrate how to change the string in a cord tilt mechanism that is made and used specifically in Hunter Douglas 2” horizontal slat products. This cord tilt mechanism uses 1.4mm string.
A Note on Safety
Kids can strangle in blind cords. To make your blinds safer for kids, keep cords out of reach and secure cord and bead chain loops. To learn more, please visit our child safety guide.
Step 1 – Measure how far you need the tilt cords to hang down.
Step 2 – Remove the tilt mechanism from your blind, and remove the retainer pin.
- Take the tilt mechanism out of the blinds.
- Remove the retainer pin.
Step 3 – With a small flathead screwdriver, take the spool out of the tilt mechanism.
- Take the spool out of the tilt mechanism.
- Remove and discard the old string.
Step 4 – Tie a knot in the middle of the string. Then insert the string into the holes on the inside of the spool.
- Tie a knot in the middle of the string
- Insert each end of the string into the holes on the spool.
Step 5 – Wrap each string around the spool in a different direction.
- Wrap one of the strings four times around the spool away from you
- Wrap the other string four times around the spool toward you.
Step 6 – Insert the string through the guides of the tilt mechanism body.
- Insert the string ends through the guides on the body of the tilt mechanism. The string coming off of the front of the spool goes through the guide in the front. The string coming off of the back of the spool goes through the guide in the back.
Step 7 – Insert the spool into the body of the tilt mechanism.
- Press the spool down, and it will snap into place firmly.
Step 8 – Insert the retainer pin.
- Insert the retainer pin into the center of the spool.
- Reinstall the tilt mechanism in your blind.
- Test the tilting function on your blind.