Video ID: 121007
How to Install and Shorten a Mini Blind
These instructions will show to measure for, unpackage, shorten, and install a typical mini blind purchased from a home improvement store. Your brand may vary, but the same techniques should apply.
A Note on Safety
Kids can strangle in blind cords. To make your blinds safer for kids, keep cords out of reach and secure cord and bead chain loops. To learn more, please visit our child safety guide.
Drill with Drill Bit Set
Needle Nose Pliers
Step 1 – Measure the window.
- Measure the width of the window in three places and round the smallest measurement down to the nearest ⅛ of an inch.
- Measure the height of the window in three places, and round the largest measurement up to the nearest ⅛ of an inch.
Step 2 – Remove the blind from the box and packaging.
Step 3 – Mark the positions of the mounting brackets.
- Drill pilot holes slightly smaller than the screws that you will be using.
- Align your brackets, and drill in the screws.
- Repeat steps for all brackets.
Step 4 – Mark the middle point for your center support bracket.
- Repeat step 3.
- Insert the headrail end caps.
Step 5 – Mount the blind to the brackets in the window.
- Lower the blind.
- Attach the wand to the tilt mechanism.
- Test the tilt function of the blind.
Step 6 – Mark the slat at or just below where the blind will stop.
- Before you remove the excess slats, note which are the ladder strings and which are the lift strings.
Step 7 – Cut the ladder strings approximately 6” below the marked slat.
- Cut the lift strings approximately 6” below the marked slat.
Step 8 – Remove the bottom rail and buttons from the stack of excess slats.
- Insert the bottom rail into the ladder string below the marked slat in your blind.
- Fold and insert the ladder strings into the hole on the underside of the bottom rail.
Step 9 – Use the lighter to blunt the end of the lift strings.
- Feed the lift strings through the bottom-most slat and bottom rail.
Step 10 – Feed the lift cord through the bottom rail button and tie it off.
- Re-insert the buttons into the bottom rail.
- Repeat steps 9-10 for all strings on the blind.
Step 11 – Re-attach end caps to the bottom rail by pushing back into place.
Step 12 – Test your repair by raising and lowering the blind completely.
Step 13 – Adjust the string length.
- Pull your tassel up the string, and tie a knot at the desired length for your pull strings.
Step 14 – Pull the tassel down over the knot.
- Repeat this for all pull strings.