Video ID: 401005
How to Install Safety Washers on Horizontal Blinds
Safety washers are simply small plastic washers. They tie onto the lifting strings of horizontal mini, wood, faux wood, and Venetian blinds, as well as pleated, woven wood and Roman shades. When the washers are in place, the lifting cords cannot be pulled through the slats or fabric lower on the blind or shade. These washers can prevent a dangerous loop from forming that could pose a strangulation risk. Safety washers are an easy and economical way to make your window coverings safer for children and pets. These washers are also called Inner Cord Stop Devices.
A Note on Safety
Kids can strangle in blind cords. To make your blinds safer for kids, keep cords out of reach and secure cord and bead chain loops. To learn more, please visit our child safety guide.
Step 1 – Thread the safety washer onto the lift cord.
- Lower the blind fully before beginning this project.
- Place the washers approximately two inches below the headrail of the blind.
- Pinch the lifting strings together, and push the safety washer over the loop.
- Pull the loop through the safety washer about three inches.
Step 2 – Knot the washer to the lift cord.
- Thread the end of the lift cord through the loop you created in step 1.
- Pull the cord all the way through so that the washer is knotted to the lifting string.
Step 3 – Repeat.
- Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each lift string on your blind.