Video ID: 401017
How to Replace Cloth Tape on 2″ Wood, Faux Wood or Venetian Blinds
Venetian, wood, and faux wood blinds may have cloth tape ladders that support and tilt the slats. This tape may stain, fade, tear, or otherwise break and require replacement. This page will walk you through putting new cloth tape ladder on your 2″ horizontal blind.
A Note on Safety
Kids can strangle in blind cords. To make your blinds safer for kids, keep cords out of reach and secure cord and bead chain loops. To learn more, please visit our child safety guide.
Step 1 – Twist the valance clip into the slot on the back of the valance.
- Use the tape measure to measure the slat size.
- Measure 7 slats vertically in the open position.
- Measure the full length of the blind and add 12 inches. Then multiply by the number of cloth tape ladders. Be sure to verify your measurement is in feet. Otherwise, convert to feet by dividing by 12 if measuring in inches.
Step 2 – Cut your cloth tape.
- Cut your cloth tape to the needed length, making sure to include an additional 12 inches for securing the tape at the top and bottom of the blind.
- Remove the valance and set it aside.
- Remove the bottom rail caps and then cut the knots off of the lift strings.
Step 3 – Remove the lift cord and slats.
- Pull the lift strings free from the top slat at each hole punch.
- Remove all slats beginning with the top slat.
- Remove the bottom rail from the cloth tape.
Step 4 – Remove the blinds from the window.
- Remove the blinds from the window by using a flat-head screwdriver to release the bracket’s latches and pulling out the headrail.
- Place your blinds on a flat surface for attaching the cloth tape ladder inside the top rail.
Step 5 – Remove the cloth tape from the drums.
- Remove cloth tape from the drums by removing any attached pins or staples.
Step 6 – Carefully mark your new cloth tape with a marker, and line up the cross threads.
- Cut the top cross threads to match the original cloth tape.
Step 7 – Fold the cloth tape by 1/4″.
- Fold over the cloth tape at the top by 1/4″, and staple it to create a pocket.
- Repeat that for all other tapes.
- Trim the excess tape to about 1″.
Step 8 – Attach the cloth tape to blinds.
- Insert the cloth tape through the bottom of the headrail.
- Attach the cloth tapes to the drums.
Step 9 – Rehang the blind, and insert the slats into the cloth tape ladders.
- Insert the slats evenly by sliding from one side through the cloth tape.
- Slide in the bottom rail through the tapes at the bottom of the blind.
Step 10 – Reinstall the lifting cords.
- Insert each lifting cord from the top slat and alternate the cord back and forth down through each slat and the cross threads of the tape.
- Insert the cord through the bottom rail, and tie a double knot.
- Repeat this step for all of the lifting cords.
Recommendations for Child Safety: